This position is primarily responsible for planning and coordinating of pre-construction activities concerned with the bidding, construction and maintenance of proposed Cleanroom projects. This position will also be responsible for analyzing specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare material and labor cost estimates and proposals for proposed projects.
- Reads and analyzes request for proposals (RFP), assigning responsibilities between department personnel to meet deliverables and schedule of RFPs.
- Reviews contractual requirements with corporate officers and utilizes their input in generation of estimates and proposals.
- Ensures all contract bid documents are complete and accurate prior to submission.
- Attend pre-construction meetings on or off-site as required.
- Performs or directs the preparation of quantity take offs and obtaining of competitive quotations from sub-contractors and vendors.
- Interprets and explains plans and contract terms to administrative staff, co-workers. Participates in turn over meeting with Engineering & Construction departments after award of project.
- Coordinates with construction department on changes in scope, directing or generating costs associated with scope changes. Resolves scope questions or clarifications that arise on current projects.
- Organizes and maintains a centralized cost estimating/quotation database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
- Studies job specifications to determine appropriate construction methods.Seeks clarification and direction from the department lead or other managers to meet timelines of the project.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Engineering; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a degree.
- An individual should be proficient with the following software: Estimating Software(Sage Timberline Estimating Extended), Take-Off Software (On-Screen Take-off); Database Creation & Reporting Software (Crystal Reports and Access); Development Software or minimum VBA proficient; Spreadsheet Software (Excel); Design Software (AutoCAD LT or Equiv), Project Management Software (Primavera Contract Manager); Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook); Presentation software (PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Architectural, Mechanical HVAC, and Electrical Engineering design concepts. Ability to work with engineering and mathematical concepts such as calculus, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Experience with “National Estimating Means” standards.
- Active in a Professional Estimating Society.
- Excellent judgment and discretion; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and handle work-related stress is required.
- Friendly, courteous, professional, outgoing, and customer service oriented.
- Detail-oriented and work effectively under pressure while meeting all applicable deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional atmosphere for employees, clients and customers.
- Able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends.
- May require some domestic overnight travel.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Professional development – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.